Thursday, August 27, 2015

Long-Suffering grows in me.



August 25, 2015 – a Tuesday. Yesterday, both boys went back to school. This time, however they were both official elementary school students. This is something that seemed like nothing but a distant dream for so many years. Oh, they grow up so quickly, I have been told. It is hard to imagine that while chasing after little boys, cleaning up cracker crumbs and folding endless stacks of laundry. Yet, it happened to us. 

My first thought – we did it! We did it! Through the grace of God we have kept them alive and well enough to attend school! This actually happened. Oh, high-five us! Great job! Great job!

Then, the second thought came rolling in. Oh, well, I did think that Sister would be here by now. That, I would not yet have to walk out of that school alone, clutching my purse like it was the last warm roll at a fancy restaurant. I did not expect to leave those boys of mine and then exit the school only to drive home and hear nothing. It was quiet – my favorite sound (!), but this time it was kind of sad. The beauty that waits for us in Uganda, she is not here yet. I am missing my little side-kick even more now that I do not have to listen to her brothers all day. New strange feeling….

Third thought (well, actually more like a pondering), and this one has actually been here for a while but I have been ignoring it. Why is this taking so long, God? When will we be able to go get her? When can she come home? But, even before that, when will we hear some news – good, positive news regarding her case? Lord, we long to bring this child home , to love and raise her as our own. She is already ours in our hearts, Lord, how long must we wait? This month I have been extra anxious, as I have known that the dear lady who runs the Baby Home where Sister resides will be going to there for a visit. This promises nothing, except for the fact that she also wants to send sweet sister home to us and promised to help out, if at all possible. 

I formerly never knew the pain one can endure when waiting so long. But here are a few things that I have learned: 

1 .I am learning how to be “long suffering”. I have often heard that it was good, favorable to God, in fact, to be “long-suffering”. And, I have always thought to myself, “well, that sounds awful”. And, well, it can be. What's important here is to cling to the only One who can save you. Hang on tight and do not let go. This is a trust-growth-thingy. This will be a GREAT story when I survive this and live to tell about it. Really. But for now, just hanging on.

2. When I wake up now, I look forward to every single day. Maybe, this is the day that we will hear some good news. Perhaps, today we will see a new photo. See, it’s exciting! I focus on the “ maybe today’s”, not on the, “well that didn’t happens."

3. We are positive people, who look forward to positive things. Why spend all day whining about what is not, when you have so much to look forward to? Not me, not us, no time. Sure, I want her here and I really want it now. However, negativity never moved anything along. We prefer to stay positive, focusing on God’s promises. Yes, we grieve for her, love her, miss her, and want her here. But, we choose to believe and stay positive.

4. This long-suffering deal has really beefed up our patience muscles. This is absolutely NOT what I would have asked for; however, we are always given what we need. Yay. Sigh. No, really, patience was never my strong point and I still may have a long road ahead; however, we have no choice but to slow down and wait. Somehow this process is a sort of strength. Again, this was NOT on my wish list, but I am trying to make good use of this gift. 

5. We really, really, truly are excited for other people who are adopting. Often we get the feeling that people may not want to share their exciting news about their children or their adoption journey, in fear that it will make us sad. No need to not share, we really want to hear about it and cheer you on! It is uplifting to continue to hear such great stories and such positive news. Adoption, I have learned, is just like having a child with Cystic Fibrosis (our oldest son, Olaf, has this illness); every single case is different. So regardless of how long or how fast your journey is, they are all different. We honestly love to hear of others contemplating, in-the-middle-of, or about to bring home children whom they have adopted. It does our hearts good. 

Please join us in fervent prayer for good news regarding our daughter. We need a miracle. Please, pray for circumstances to shift so that we may bring her some soon. We did get 4 new pictures of her today and boy did that do our hearts good! She is growing, looks healthy and happy and is enjoying the new My Little Pony doll that we sent her. We are stuck in this place of long-suffering at the moment; however, we choose to continue to praise the One who can deliver us all from this 

Thank you for traveling this journey with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment